If battering and frying fish sounds messy, frozen fish sticks are your fish taco savior in this healthy Fish Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema recipe from EatingWell Magazine. Use them for a quick, kid-friendly dinner or try popcorn shrimp. Serve with your favorite salsa and black beans on the side.
Pro Tip: Most fish sticks are made with pollock, which is a sustainable choice if it’s Marine Stewardship Council certified (look for the blue label or contact the manufacturer). Try to avoid added sugar (or make sure it’s as close to the end of the ingredient list as possible). Go for one with 300 mg or less of sodium per serving.
- 16 fish sticks (about 8 ounces)
- 3 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ ripe avocado
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- Cilantro for garnish
- Prepare fish sticks according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, toss coleslaw mix (or cabbage) with vinegar and salt.
- Mash avocado in a small bowl, then mix in mayonnaise, lime juice and hot sauce.
- Serve the fish sticks in tortillas topped with the slaw, avocado crema and cilantro, if desired.
©Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Recipe used with permission.