This lively vegetarian pasta dish contains no added fat or oil, is low in cholesterol, and is good hot or cold.
- 2 cups small yellow onions, cut in eighths
- 2 cups fresh ripe tomatoes (about 1 lb), chopped and peeled
- 2 cups yellow and green squash (about 1 lb), thinly sliced
- 1½ cups fresh green beans (about ½ lb), cut
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 lb spaghetti, uncooked
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Combine first 10 ingredients in large saucepan; cook for 10 minutes, then stir in tomato paste. Cover and cook gently, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
Cook spaghetti in unsalted water according to package directions.
Spoon sauce over drained hot spaghetti and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
Yield: 9 servings
Serving size: 1 cup spaghetti and 3/4 cup sauce with vegetables
Each serving provides:
- Calories: 271
- Total fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Sodium: 328mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Potassium: 436mg