This colorful low-sodium cholesterol-free vegetable baked dish is prepared without any added fat.
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ lb fresh green beans, sliced
- ½ lb fresh okra, cut into ½-inch pieces, or
- ¾ cup or ½ 10-oz package frozen okra
- ¾ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
- basil, crushed
- 1½ tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped, or ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 3 medium (7-inch-long) zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Drain and coarsely chop tomatoes. Save liquid. Mix together tomatoes and reserved liquid, onion, green beans, okra, green pepper, lemon juice, and herbs. Cover and bake at 325º F for 15 minutes.
- Mix in zucchini and eggplant, and continue baking, covered, 60-70 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Yield: 18 servings
Serving size: ½ cup
- Each serving provides:
- Calories: 27
- Total fat: less than 1g
- Saturated fat: less than 1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 86mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 5g
- Potassium: 244mg